Friday, July 9, 2010

My money is so safe that even I can't touch it!

What I love about traveling in this day and age is that, no matter where you are in the world, you can stick your ATM card in a machine and money comes out (providing there are funds in your account) in the currency of the country you're in. How great is that? So very convenient.

In the six years that Andy and I have been going to England, I have always done this without any complications. This time, when I got to England I used the card for a cash withdrawal and a couple of purchases, but suddenly my card was declined at the ATM when I needed more cash. I managed without the cash, thanks to my sugar daddy schmusband. When I used the card at Dulles to pay my parking bill, it went through. Then, (I am saying this part using my really snotty voice) when I returned to Richmond all my transactions were declined!

It took 2 days and 3 phone calls and several conversations with supervisors, not to mention the embarrassment of my card being declined as I try to pay for a buggy full of groceries at The Worst Food Lion on Jahnke Road, but I think now the situation is remedied.

Bank of America told me that because the economy is in the crapper, fraud is way up, and they are being hyper vigilant about protecting customers' accounts. I guess I can understand that. What I don't get is 1) Why do they not contact the customer to tell her that she can't have access to her money? and B) When the customer routinely uses the same merchants and ATMs in both the USA and England on a regular basis, are they not savvy enough to tell that the transactions are legitimate?

So I was advised to contact the bank now when I am going out of town to apprise them of my travel plans. This frustrates me beyond reason! Why do I have a PIN? Bank of America is wicked retarded.

Okay, I feel better now. Thank you for listening.

No comments: