Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Tomato Time



Is there anything quite like a tomato sandwich in the summer? On lightly toasted bread? With thick slices of sweet flavorful fresh tomato? And the juice sort of runs down to your elbows when you take a big hungry bite of it?

I stopped at this little produce shack on Highway 301 on my way back to Richmond today. She had bushels of tomatoes out in front, but just one bushel of tomatoes by the checkout in the back that were about a dollar more per pound. I asked what the difference was and she told me the cheaper ones are from South Carolina and brought up here on a refrigerated truck. Wrong! Mustn't refrigerate tomatoes. Kills the flavor.
So I paid more for the local ones and dwelt on my little lesson learned. Just because it's by the side of a country road, sitting in a basket in the sun, doesn't mean it's local or fresh.

I'm going to bake a loaf of bread this weekend and we are going to eat tomato and mayonnaise sandwiches. Actually, I like to eat this stuff called Vegenaise. It is every bit as fattening as mayonnaise, but it's made of vegetable fat. It tastes fantastic! And no cholesterol. But lots of delicious calories.



It's more expensive than mayonnaise, but you're supposed to make up for that by using it in moderation. I know--hilarious, right?

2 comments:

pnlkotula said...

Mmmm, I thought only country girls from Halifax County ate 'mata sammiches. Yeah, you gotta gob the mayo on, or what's the point?

Amy Gethins Sullivan said...

That would work for me, but not my gang. I did not like Mayo till I was, like, in my 20's. I liked it, still do, in totty salad, but, on a sammy, know way.
But, now I enjoy a very thin layer w/
dijion mustard, salt & pepper.Super yummy. The kind of yummy that only summer can bring. Amy