Sunday, June 1, 2008

New Farm Market on the Southside!

I went to the new farmers' market in my neighborhood yesterday. It's in Forest Hill Park every Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to noon! I am beyond excited to have a farmers market so close to my home. It is absolutely the perfect place for a farmers' market--right in the middle of a beautiful hilly park with loads of parking--and judging by the crowds, it's going to be a huge success.

I donned my backpack and rode my bicycle over. I fortunately ran into my co-worker Andy Boothby, who pointed me to the stall where he found some nice arugula. The selection of produce is relatively small this early in the season. There are other types of things like handmade soaps, baked goods and flowers. There's a stall that sells special order meats and Amish butter. That one had the longest lines by far! It figures the meat booth would be the most popular at the vegetable market. There were too many jewelry vendors for me.
I hope as more produce comes into season, the jewelry vendors will be replaced with veggie vendors.

I had the pleasure of happening upon Lynn West and Jody Strickler. We wandered about together oohing and aahing. Lynnie showed me all the new Tomboy Tools out of the back of her truck.
I went home with a generous sized bag of the lovely arugula.

Today for dinner I made a gorgeous salad of the arugula and thinly sliced fennel bulb, dressed with a vinaigrette consisting of olive oil (that really expensive stuff that Andy bought online when he had insomnia!), balsamic vinegar and maple syrup. The sweetness of the maple syrup was a perfect foil to the bitter peppery greens. Andy, who's not a big salad eater, raved about it.

We also had home made spinach tagliatelle (wide noodles) with peas in a sauce of cream and gorganzola cheese. Talk about decadent. I plan to ride my bicycle to work every day this next week. I'll have to, just to burn off tonight's dinner!

3 comments:

pnlkotula said...

Have to check that out...sounds like a relaxing Saturday afternoon kind of thing.

Janine Serresseque said...

It's very festive. You have to go in the morning, though. It's from 8 a.m. to noon! But you could grab some lunch at Crossroads Coffee and Ice Cream afterwards.That's a cute little neighborhood place.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.