Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Detoxing a la Dr. Oz

I feel the need for a cleansing and refreshing smoothie-type addition to my regime.
Wait...Does over-consumption of bad carbs and cheese and butter and cream and wine constitute a regime?

I really want to up, up, up the amount of raw food in my diet.



I'm going to begin and end each day by drinking a great big glass of Dr. Oz's Green Drink. It's a totally vegan raw, very pulpy juice made of:

handful of parsley
2 handfuls of spinach
stick of celery
2 apples
juice of a lemon
1/2" piece of peeled ginger root
1 cucumber
spring water to help liquefy

I don't have a juicer, so I use the blender. It makes a very pulpy drink (yes, I know I said "pulpy" twice. That's just how pulpy it is) with a taste that I hope will become acquired soon. It's teeming with vitamins and fiber-chocked goodness. You're allowed to switch up the ingredients a little to suit your taste. When I make tomorrow's batch I'm going to substitute one of the apples for a nice ripe peach to add a little more sweetness.

I will resist the temptation to add champagne to it. Well, maybe just on Sundays...

7 comments:

debra said...

Well, those are all things I like. I just wonder if I would like them all together.hmmmm....

Janine Serresseque said...

Next time I make it I'm going to omit the celery stick.

JB said...

really? I am torn - part of me thinks this might even be good and part of me just wants to gag.

Princess Crabass said...

I admire your courage and commitment to the pursuit of health. But that looks like what they fed Linda Blair before that infamous scene in the Exorcist, and I don't think I could get past it.

Make mine chocolate.

Janine Serresseque said...

JB, that's exactly how I felt with my first taste of it! It's growing on me now, though.

Robyn, the only way I could get you to drink this would be to water-board you with it!

debra said...

Robyn: Linda's was pea soup. I have a feeling you wouldn't eat that either. Would you?
Janine: the waterboarding thing just about killed me! "Nutritionist arrested after allegedly waterboarding clients with health drinks". Good headline, huh?

Jacquie O. said...

This reminds me of the time I tried to get rid of my gallstones by drinking 5 cups of olive oil. They said it would work...bastard people...