Saturday, March 22, 2008

We're off to the pub for breakfast.

Yep, you heard me right.

Tomorrow, Liverpool plays Manchester United. Big match. No self-respecting Englishman will want to miss this match. That means Andy and I are going to Penny Lane Pub on Fifth and Franklin for breakfast, soccer watching and probably beer. Terry, Penny Lane's owner, is from Liverpool. For special game days like tomorrow, the pub usually serves up a good proper English brekkie, like bangers and eggs and taties. Liverpool is Andy's favorite team, and Andy's dad's fave as well.

Are you getting a sense of the build-up here? My boyfriend was pouncing on the bed this morning at 8 a.m. telling me to "guess what we're doing tomorrow! And guess why I'm kissing you on the cheek right now!" My guess was "that we are going to a bar to drink beer and watch soccer first thing in the morning?"

Then later, we are planning to make homemade lasagna. We're going to take another crack at the pasta machine, which excites me to no end. There's a recipe in Ann Willan's Perfect Pasta for a gorgeous spinach lasagna with eggplant and a mornay sauce. I'll try to take pics this time!

5 comments:

pnlkotula said...

I feel certain it is very akin to opening day of Hokie football in the Kotula household. If you can't beat 'em...but it sounds like fun with the pub and breakfast and all.

pnlkotula said...

Oh my Janine - Paul and I are watching "Ultimate Recipe Showdown" (I know, can you believe it?) on Food Network, and one lady is making her recipe called "Spanikopita Lasagna". OMG it looks so good!

Janine Serresseque said...

Spanikopita lasagna sounds damn good! I have made spanikopita lots of times--is it basically spinach pie type fillings layered between noodles? I may have to go on a hunt for this recipe...

pnlkotula said...

A little more...has a filo (sp) dough crust and crispy, toppings and a bechemel sauce...I love spanikopita and miss it from the Lighthouse.

Janine Serresseque said...

Ah yes,I loved The Lighthouse, Didn't you?? What ever happened to George Vlasidis? And the bevy of his gorgeous sons and daughters who worked there as well?

You've made me think that I should write a post about The Lighthouse. I have so many happy memories of that place.