Sunday, June 24, 2012

Yammycakes.

I'm always looking for new vegan recipes, even though Andy and I are no longer doing the vegan thing. I really miss being vegan, and I try to sneak in as many vegan dinners as I can! Between all the bacon sandwiches.

I found this recipe for sweet potato veggie burgers on a sexy vegan blog called Healthy Happy Life. I was completely sucked in by Kathy Patalsky's beautiful photographs. She also has a lot of pictures of her cat, and that makes me feel less geeky for doing the same thing on my blog.



I made some burgers out of a baked sweet potato, a can of cannellini beans, a dollop of tahini, a tablespoon of fine cornmeal, a few chopped scallions, salt, pepper and smoked paprika. I put the mixture in the fridge to firm it up, then formed it into patties and coated the patties in panko. If you don't have panko in your pantry, go get some right now. Coat something with it, fry it and eat it. You will thank me profusely.

I made a tasty vinaigrette of olive oil, lime juice, honey, cilantro and a splash of vinegar.



Fried the patties in some canola oil until they were golden brown, and then served them on a bed of butter lettuce, topped with avocado slices, and drizzled with the vinaigrette.



They were really delicious! But not perfect. I needed to have a firmer texture, as they were very floppy when forming them into patties and cooking them. Any suggestions? Bulghur? Rice? Anybody? Anybody?

I will definitely try these again with some tweaks to improve the sturdiness, but I give them an A+ for flavor and presentation. They are so pretty when you dig into a patty and it's all orange and yammy!



No comments: